Forcing Your Ex to Pay Child Support

Child Support

Are you the custodial parent of your child, feeling stuck because you’re dealing with a noncustodial parent who won’t pay court-ordered child support? Whether they’re not paying it on time or not paying it at all, they could technically be held in contempt of court for what they are doing (or, well, not doing). But even knowing that, you might feel helpless. You might be strapped for cash, struggling to pay for your child’s band uniform, but with no way to get help from the person who is supposed to be helping. What can you do to force him or her to pay up? 

To start off, you need to let the courts know you are not receiving the child support you are owed. A district attorney has the power to help you collect any unpaid court-ordered child support. In most cases, this is done by serving your ex with papers that say that continued failure to pay will result in consequences such as:

  • Redirecting their federal tax refunds to you to make up for missing child support
  • Taking the money out of their paycheck.
  • Seizure of their property
  • Suspension or revocation of their occupational license, business license, or driver’s license.

While failure to pay child support is considered contempt of court and contempt of court is punishable by jail time because district attorneys take into consideration that if your ex is in jail, they cannot earn money, which will only defeat the purpose by making it even more difficult for them to pay their child support. It is likely, however, that your ex will be threatened with jail time.

If you need help finding an agency that can help you with child support enforcement, the National Child Support Enforcement Agency offers a list. To get the best chance for a positive outcome in your case, you will also need the help of an experienced family law attorney. 

At the Law Offices of Kayleene H. Writer, we have extensive experience in matters related to child support, child custody, divorce, and more. If you are dealing with a family law matter, get in touch with us. We pride ourselves on personal, focused services for clients in and around Irvine, California, as well as throughout Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside. Give us a call at (949) 353-6151 to get started.